Training in finance

Education and training required for different jobs

Training in finance

Postby Randolf » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:50 pm

What sort of courses do people suggest if I want to work in the Treasury department? I have done my accounting qualifications but would like to move to a new field in finance - do you think many companies will pay to help me re-train as I might be able to get some more training through the accounting firm I work for?
Randolf

Re: Training in finance

Postby simonwallace » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:30 am

Most of your accounting qualifications will be enough to start work in a treasury role. If you want to progress your career further then it might be wise to look into taking professional qualifications such as Association of Corporate Treasures exams. You should be able to get some exemptions due to your accountancy qualifications, however they are quite expensive so I guess you might want to get a treaury job first that will pay for the exams.
=======================================================
Simon Wallace
what will they ask?
simon@whatwilltheyask.co.uk

All you need to know to succeed at job interviews - whatwilltheyask.com
=======================================================
simonwallace
Site Admin

Postby Randolf » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:54 pm

I've got a friend who did the IMC (investment management certificate) and they said that that was a good introductory course into finance. I think its pitched at people with some experience in the industry and educated to a degree level.

He says that he has mentioned it in banking job interviews and they seem to have liked that he had studied for it.
Randolf

Postby Greeny » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:03 pm

I did the IMC when I first started working at HSBC, it was a good intro for someone like me who had studied history and had very little financial knowledge.

I then went on to do the CFA qualification which took me about three years to complete and was much much more difficult, especially as I was working very long hours at the time.
Good times...
Greeny

Postby frank sidebottom » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:57 pm

Some people do just work their way in. A friend of mine from Uni did a history degree then went in as a cashier at a Barclays and just went for loads of in house training and promotions, so she could eventually move away from retail to investment banking.
frank sidebottom

Return to Education