Unemployed for over two years

Issues concerning unemployment and long breaks in your career

Unemployed for over two years

Postby Harris » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:55 pm

I was unemployed for over two years in the late 90s. It really gets you down and you feel a complete lack of confidence. It had got to a point where I would spend my week just watching tv and doing little else - apart from signing on. Eventually I had to tell myself that I couldn't go on like this and that I had to get my life back on track.

I thought that the gap in my career would look bad and in the first couple of interviews I went to it came up and I didn't perform well. This got me really down and I was close to giving up.

Then one of my friends suggested that I come along and help out at a working farm on the other side of town. It was really enjoyable and helped to boost my confidence. I found that I could work in a team and I was capable of making a difference. I spent more and more time at the farm and was taking on lots of responsibility.

After about six months I decided that I was definitely good enough to get a job. With my CV showing six months experience and a renewed confidence I found I had plenty to talk about at the job interviews I went to and performed so much better. I managed to start work soon after and have never looked back and never had an extended period of unemployment since.

I found volentary work was a great way of not only helping others but also helping myself.
Harris

Re: Unemployed for over two years

Postby fleabag » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:31 pm

Totally agree. I was unemployed for 6 months, got turned down for 6 jobs, but was offered 2 once i had 4 months of really good voluntary work on my CV. Yay!
fleabag

Return to Dealing with unemployment