Tip for the day

Discuss interviews you've had, ask questions and get tips.

Tip for the day

Postby LondonStu » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:50 pm

Here is my tip for the day. Try and wear neutral colours at an interview - I remember once when I was waiting for an interview a chap came out with a mustard shirt on and a very bright tie. I can only imagine the interviewer was distracted and didn't listen to what he had to say.

Personally I go for a dark suit (not black) and a light blue shirt with a modestly patterned tie. Dressing conservatively works for most interviews.
LondonStu

Re: Tip for the day

Postby Randolf » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:09 pm

Sadly I have made that mistake in my early years - I think my mum was probably still dressing me then... :D
Randolf

Postby Wingman » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:47 pm

As I mentioned in my other post http://www.whatwilltheyask.co.uk/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=18 I am well aware of the problems with getting the outfit right for interviews.

My tips would be - don't let your mum dress you, keep it sober and go in something that you feel confortable in. You'll be nervous so you want some room to breath and to stay cool. Job interviews are a lot easier when your not worrying about sweating.

I would avoid blue and dark colours that will show up when you get a little sweaty. Crisp white shirt, maybe with a few stripes, can work a treat.
Wingman

Postby Camilletoe » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:43 pm

I remember when my mum dressed me for an interview. I was far too overdressed for a job at Tesco and felt such an idiot surrounded by people in tacksuits...

...however I got the job and was put on a higher starting wage than other people because they thought I was intelligent and could work on the computers in the officer (this is not to say that I'm not intelligent :) )

Anyway I for one would like to say thanks mum...that extra 20p an hour made it worth it!
Camilletoe

Postby LondonStu » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:44 pm

I actually saw a chap at a wedding a few weeks ago with a far worse shirt suit combination...it was a cream suit with a salmon shirt...absolutely disgusting.

Needless to say he didn't impress the ladies.
LondonStu

Postby fleabag » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:29 pm

I interviewed someone last month. He was a reasonable candidate but he came in wearing this godawful puss colored suit with a salmon coloured shirt and vile looking tie. He surely must have found it in a charity shop or borrow it from a bulgarian second-hand car salesman. I know it's not terribly professional but it totally put me off him and i just couldnt bear to ask him back for a second interview. It would have offended my eyes.

My tip for the day: Avoid puss coloured suits and salmon coloured shirts. At all times.
fleabag

Postby Wingman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:46 pm

I went to a wedding wearing a salmon coloured shirt and an orange tie. I thought I was the bees knees (or is it the cats pajamas) sadly it didn't last long. In the light of day I knew I was looking a little bit odd...luckily I got a little drunk and danced away my shame!

Luckily I won't be making that mistake at any interviews I'll be going to.
Wingman

Postby fleabag » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:07 am

Ha ha I think we've all made fashion mistakes when we look back on it. I grew up through the 1980s and wore plenty of outfits that nowadays would probably be a criminal offence. :oops:

But then again the sort of clothes that people wore to work and interviews were also pretty terrible in the 80s. I remember women wearing shoulder pads, men in their thick pinstripes and very interesting ties. There was also power hair with men sweeping it backwards and fluffing it up.
fleabag

Return to Job interview tips