Following up on a job interview

Discuss interviews you've had, ask questions and get tips.

Following up on a job interview

Postby JohnV » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:06 am

Do people follow up in interviews? What is the best way to get the best feedback after an interview?

Some places seem happy to give it to you but some places don't seem to be bothered. I like to get feedback as it means I can learn where I've fallen down and where I can improve / get more experience.
JohnV

Re: Following up on a job interview

Postby Wingman » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:17 am

I would suggest always following up on an interview.

Some companies have standard follow up forms that they will send you to let you know why you didn't get the job. This is particularly true for large companies. However there are also many companies that won't give you anything, some don't even bother getting back to you at all and just leave you hanging. I really hate this.

To avoid this I would definitely call them after about a week if you haven't heard anything. If you have had a rejection without feedback then definitely give them a call and see whether they will tell you why they rejected you for the job. It is a great way of learning from your mistakes or finding out what experience or skills you were lacking to do the job so you can go out and get them.
Wingman

Return to Job interview tips