Job interview psychometric test

Tests at interview to evaluate your suitability

Job interview psychometric test

Postby Theo » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:13 pm

What the hell is a psychometric test?

I don't think I've ever had one of these at interview. They sound quite scary and the sort of thing that will prove that I'm mad or something!
Theo

Re: Job interview psychometric test

Postby Graduate Coach » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:33 pm

Nothing to worry about Theo. Most major employers use physchometric tests. They vary in length and as a result some are more complex than others. The company will have established what mix of competencies and behaviours work best for the job they are advertising. They then map your results against their ideal. So you are being assessed against preset criteria. This is a benefit for you as it avoids the random likes and prejudices that interviewers have. If you are applying for a more general role such as, for example, a 'graduate trainee' post your results will be assessed against a database of graduates.

The really useful thing from your point of view is that the people administering the test are required, as best practice, to provide you with feedback and this can be very helpful when considering career choices.
Barrie Hinton

Graduate2SuccessLLP
graduate coaching and development

barrie@graduate2success.co.uk
Graduate Coach

Postby Hannah » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:53 pm

I have never had one of these Graduate Coach but I think I will be a lot more happy about doing one now that I know what they are. Sometimes I think these things have strange names that are looking to confuse you...but then again I am Polish and lots of English words still sound strange to me.

:oops:
Hannah

Postby Theo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:10 pm

Thanks Graduate Coach that has made things seem a lot clearer. I think I will also have a look around the internet to find more out about these tests.

Maybe the good people at what will they ask would like to write something on the topic.
Theo

Postby frank sidebottom » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:19 pm

Is there any way you can prepare or revise for a psychometric test or is it just off the top of your head stuff?
frank sidebottom

Return to Numerical, verbal, logic and psychometric reasoning tests