Working at HSBC or Barclays

Discuss interview questions asked and the interview process at banking and finance job interviews.

Working at HSBC or Barclays

Postby cocksman » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:02 pm

I hear that working in the post room is a good way of getting into the banks. Is this true or have I been watching too many american movies.

I've always wanted to work my way up in one of the big banks but don't have the experience or qualifications. It seems that HSBC and Barclays are the only big banks left in the UK at the moment.
cocksman

Re: Working at HSBC or Barclays

Postby simonwallace » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:59 pm

It seems far less common these days to work your way up from the post room. I have heard of it being done but with so many people graduating and coming through the graduate program I would suggest that your best bet is to go through the normal routes of education and graduate programme if at all possible.
=======================================================
Simon Wallace
what will they ask?
simon@whatwilltheyask.co.uk

All you need to know to succeed at job interviews - whatwilltheyask.com
=======================================================
simonwallace
Site Admin

Postby cocksman » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:43 pm

At the moment I think getting any job at a bank would be excellent. I guess getting an education is key in so many jobs these days and the times when you can work your way up from the bottom are much more unusual.

I see people on here going on courses and that gives me a bit of inspiration to go and get more education as I'm not stupid and sure I can get some good qualifications. Just getting the motivation is harder.
cocksman

Postby Bex » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:13 pm

I think the postroom thing might have been a way in years back , but graduate schemes etc do seem to be the way to go now.
Bex

Return to Banking and finance job interviews