Charity interviews - easy?

Discuss interview questions asked and the interview process at charity and not for profit job interviews.

Charity interviews - easy?

Postby Greeny » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:57 pm

I have heard that jobs for charities can be quite easy because the jobs tend not to be that technical and the people interviewing are quite soft?

Is this the case or are my friends just taking the wee wee because they think I'm being soft moving from banking into the charity sector?
Good times...
Greeny

Re: Charity interviews - easy?

Postby Bex » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:28 pm

Absolutely not. Quite the opposite! There are huge numbers of highly qualified and highly experienced people trying to get into or move across to the third sector. It's getting more and more competitive as more people (particularly graduates) are taking into consideration the ethical position of the companies they work for.

The evidence suggests that the knowledge that your job has some positive ethical / social / environmental impact is an increasing factor in job satisfaction. That's part of the reason so many companies are revving up their corporate social responsibility programmes - employers are realising the importance of the feel good factor in making their minions more productive.

This is coupled with the changing face and professionalisation of the charity sector over the last decade. In short, they are being more like 'proper' businesses; prudent but commerically viable financial and strategic planning, huge marketing and media campaigns... and a growing willingness (at least in some quarters) to pay good money for the right people to get the job done.

Think charity interviews are going to be a push over? Think again....
Bex

Re: Charity interviews - easy?

Postby Wingman » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:35 pm

I'm not convinced Bex. I've been to a charity job interview and it was very straight forward. I think though they probably are harder when you interview for a more senior position or at one of the very popular charities.
Wingman

Return to Charity job interviews