possible redundancy

General chat about careers and interviews, what people are currently up to and plans for the future. Anything related to careers and interviews.

possible redundancy

Postby James2 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:39 pm

I've got a feeling there are going to be redundancies at my company over the coming months. I've been there about 3 years; I have a relatively important but not indispensible role. Are there any ways I can 'redundancy - proof myself and my role?
James2

Re: possible redundancy

Postby Hannah » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:23 pm

My friend has just lost his job that he has been working at for five years and he was telling me a few months ago that he was safe from the recession.

I think that maybe the only place that you can truely recession proof yourself is working for the government.

Maybe you could think about working in another country that is not doing as badly. Hey I did it moving to UK and I loved it. If you don't have any committments or anything then maybe going to the Middle East might be good...I also think it is fun to work abroad when you are able to. It gives you a chance to learn a language and see the world.

My English is 100% better since I moved to England from Poland. Working in a shop I get to meet and speak to lots of people and I love it and I think it has set me up well for life. Some people even say I am talking like a Londoner, not sure that is good! ;)
Hannah

Postby simonwallace » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:14 pm

Sadly at the moment there are few ways you can completely redundancy proof yourself.

The best tip I can give is to make sure that everything you do is to the best of your ability. of a high quality and recognised as such by not only your immediate line manager but also, if possible, by the people who would make the ultimate decision about whether you will keep or lose your job.

Your company needs to understand that they will be losing a vital function if you weren't there.

Sadly with companies cutting jobs in the thousands at the moment, the process of making redundancies can be quite indiscriminate and therefore even the best employees are at risk.
=======================================================
Simon Wallace
what will they ask?
simon@whatwilltheyask.co.uk

All you need to know to succeed at job interviews - whatwilltheyask.com
=======================================================
simonwallace
Site Admin

Postby Wingman » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:48 pm

I don't think there are any industries that are safe at the moment. Some say that the civil service or public sector is a guaranteed job but frankly the way the government in the UK and other countries like the US are spending they are going to have to cut back in some areas and maybe that'll be cutting head counts themselves.
Wingman

Postby cocksman » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:50 am

I think a lot of people will lose their jobs just after Christmas if they are working in the retail industry. If its a bad festive season then some shops will be forced to either cut staff or even close altogether.

Then there will be another big wave of job cuts around March time before bonuses have to be paid out.

...and then there'll be lots more in general throughout 2009!

Happy New Year :(
cocksman

Postby Hannah » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:41 pm

I work on Oxford Street and it has been busy around here since the sales are going on. I don't think things will stay this busy though as I'm sure shops can't keep selling things at the crazy sale prices that they are.

I think the big stores will be fine but some shops are already going into administration. The job losses are coming thick and fast in the retail sector. It pretty bad at the moment I think.
Hannah

Postby Wingman » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:24 am

Retail's going to be losing jobs in the tens of thousands. The Christmas and the sale session isn't even over yet and a number of retailers are already calling the administrators. I can't remember the number of people that have lost their jobs at Woolworths but that is already in the many thousands.

Okay some of them will get jobs in the retailers that take the place of Woolworths and the other companies that collapse, but with consumers cutting back on spending then many of these jobs will not be replaced.

Its going to be a long year if you work in retail...but then again its going to be pretty pants if you work in any sector at the moment.
Wingman

Return to General careers and job interview chat