New career advice

General chat about careers and interviews, what people are currently up to and plans for the future. Anything related to careers and interviews.

New career advice

Postby Greeny » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:47 pm

I've just lost my job working for a bank.

What should I do next? Any suggestions for a new career as I've had my fill of banking. Maybe something completely different...really don't know what I want to do at the moment.

I guess that's why I'm spending so much time on here at the moment and why I'll win the £100 posting the most by Christmas ;)
Good times...
Greeny

Re: New career advice

Postby Theo » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:09 pm

Maybe you could look into working in a job that you might find rewarding such as teaching.

I imagine that you built up a lot of experience whilst working at a bank that would be great to pass onto the next generation...probably how not to fun a bank following the recent problems... :mrgreen: ...only joking!
Theo

Postby Greeny » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:51 pm

I've never known how to "fun" a bank ;) but it could have been a lot better if I did...as they have been a bit of a joke over the past couple of years. :D

That is good advice though Theo...I have been in a bit of a blood sucking industry for a while so maybe something like teaching or something where I feel I am directly helping people could be a nice change. I guess in some ways I want to just be more involved with real people, which was something I missed when working at a bank...I didn't have time to interact with people on a personal level.
Good times...
Greeny

Postby alice » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:52 pm

I have a friend who left a well paid career at a big financial institution and bought an ice-cream van.

He spends 7 months of the year ice-cream-van-man-ing, 2 months travelling round europe (in the ice cream van - surprisingly roomy without all the boxes of wafers and flakes) and the other 3 months working for his brother's electrical wholesale company.

He makes a decent wage and is as happy as larry!
alice

Return to General careers and job interview chat