Job losses at my company

General chat about careers and interviews, what people are currently up to and plans for the future. Anything related to careers and interviews.

Job losses at my company

Postby Jimbob » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:12 pm

My company has just announced that 10% of all the staff will be cut over the next couple of months. Its not going to be me because the people have already been told but I am getting a bit nervous about the coming few months and next two years. Hopefully I'll make it through.

Anyone else getting caught up in this mess?
Jimbob

Re: Job losses at my company

Postby Harris » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:59 pm

I was unemployed for a long time and it really got me down so I hope I won't be in the same position at my current job. I don't think anyone can safely say that they're completely immune from the downturn in the economy...well maybe if you work for the government but I'm not sure even those jobs are completely recession proof.
Harris

Postby Jimbob » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:03 pm

Yeah its not great at the moment and probably won't be better for a while. I was talking to a friend of mine and he thought (as a joke) that Gordon Brown would use the financial mess to invade Iceland and get people's money back. Maybe it will work like the Falklands and get him re-elected even though 3 million people have lost their jobs.

I hope he doesn't though as some of this is his fault.
Jimbob

Postby bill » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:52 pm

Yup - a third of my brother's company is likely to be made redundant by January. It's a construction firm so he's really at the sharp end of it all. The thing is that he's bene in the industry his whole career, and there are barely any construction jobs out there right now.
bill

Postby alice » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:46 pm

I don't know..... there are still jobs going on some sectors. Third sector jobs haven't seen too much slow down yet, but I guess that's because the squeeze is only now starting to filter down to them. Everyone keep everything crossed !!
alice

Return to General careers and job interview chat