After psychology

General chat about careers and interviews, what people are currently up to and plans for the future. Anything related to careers and interviews.

After psychology

Postby frank sidebottom » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:13 pm

I've recently graduated from university with a 2:1 in psychology. The thing is I've got no clue what kind of career I should be aiming for. I've pretty much ruled out a career as a psychologist; partly as my interest in the area waned a little of the course of my degree, and partly as it's nigh on impossible to get any clinical training or placements. Any ideas of other areas my skills could be put to good use in?
frank sidebottom

Re: After psychology

Postby Hannah » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:21 pm

I see you asked about a marketing job, is this what you are looking to go into maybe?

I think doing a psychology degree would probably be a good link with marketing as you will have learnt how people think and react to things. I don't know much about psychology but I would guess that this is the case.
Hannah

Postby Graduate Coach » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:10 am

Frank, you might want to think about HR as an alternative to marketing, which is incredibly competitive; particularly with the big brand consumer products. For example Mars get 100 applications for each single opportunity. You must have completed lots of pschological profiles at uni; what types of careers did they suggest.
Barrie Hinton

Graduate2SuccessLLP
graduate coaching and development

barrie@graduate2success.co.uk
Graduate Coach

Postby frank sidebottom » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:48 pm

Thanks Barrie, that's certainly food for thought. Someone else suggested the same thing to me the other day, so I'll definitely look in to it.

I was always a bit dubious about the psych tests -i tended to be told I'd make a good museum curator!!!

Nice website by the way!
frank sidebottom

Return to General careers and job interview chat