Graduate jobs

Discuss where to hunt for jobs.

Graduate jobs

Postby JohnV » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:54 pm

Is anyone else finding that there are less graduate jobs available at the moment. I guess with the problems in the world of finance and general doom and gloom people are not hiring as much. Bit tough at the moment!
JohnV

Re: Graduate jobs

Postby Hannah » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:03 am

I read somewhere that the graduate job market is shrinking but I don't think its too bad yet. Plenty of my friends have found work for next year. I guess it might be a case that some of the students that getting 3rd class degrees from the worst uni's find it hard to get something.
Hannah

Postby LondonStu » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:43 pm

I have heard rumours that some of the investment banks are going to cut complete years from their graduate intakes.

I think this might be a bit too extreme but I guess those banks that have really messed up might be forced to make sweeping cuts. Not going to be the easiest time for people to get jobs, especially in some parts of the financial sector.
LondonStu

Postby Randolf » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:49 pm

If you've got a frist class degree you're going to be fine. Too many of us 2:1 - ers out there all competing for the same roles.
Randolf

Postby Hannah » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:24 pm

Lots of graduate banking jobs are going now. My last boyfriend working for Lehman Brothers and I think he is now looking for work. I think it will be hard for some people for a few years...luckily for my last boyfriend he had saved up enough money and now he is planning on travelling around the world until things get better in the finance markets.

I wish I could do this...
Hannah

Re: Graduate jobs in banking

Postby LondonStu » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:41 pm

A good friend of mine has been able to keep his job at HBOS but is very worried because his boss has been sacked and so has a guy at the same level as he is. Some of the people in the support functions have also been sacked so he is really worried at the moment and quite stressed.

He is doing even more work as there are less people in the company, fewer support functions and he is trying to impress those around him so he keeps his job.

I used to be very jealous of his banking job....not anymore!
LondonStu

Postby Hannah » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:05 am

Just saw this message I wrote. He is no longer my boyfriend :cry:

He has taken being made redundant very badly and it was not nice for me. So I am free and single which is a little sad for Christmas.
Hannah

Postby LauraC » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:18 pm

Hannah, I'm really sorry to hear that your boyfriend was being a **** about being made redundent...It's NO excuse!! :x

I've recently lost my job and have been finding it really hard too. Does anyone know what the most active sectors are at the moment? I heard pubic sector is pretty active, but anything else?

I also came across this in my jobless wanderings, it was kinda helpful so might be worth you guys looking over...

http://www.thegatewayonline.com/article.php?id=194
LauraC

Postby Hannah » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:29 pm

Yeah I'm very happy that I got rid of him. These are hard times for people but as you say it is no excuse to take it out on others, especially those you care about as they are the ones who are usually trying their best to help you and make sure you are happy.

Thanks for the link though, it was interesting.
Hannah

Return to Job hunting tips